Unless you’ve had your head under a pillow for the last couple of years you’ve likely run across the term Bitcoin—a lot. In case you are unsure Bitcoin is all about, let me provide you with a definition from Investopedia which calls it, “A digital or virtual currency that uses peer-to-peer technology to facilitate instant payments. Bitcoin is a type of alternative currency known as a cryptocurrency, which uses cryptography for security, making it difficult to counterfeit.” Whether you are just learning about Bitcoin for the first time or are Satoshi Nakamoto himself, you’ll find plenty of interesting resources to explore here. From explanations to mining tools to wallets to exchanges—it’s all here. Let me know what I missed and what your favorites are!
Bitcoin For Beginners
- Bitcoins.com – A simple, concise and well-designed guide to the world of Bitcoin.
- Bitcoin: What Is It? – Khan Academy course.
- Cryptocoins – Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin news and analysis (with a nice design).
- Coindesk – Bitcoin news, prices, charts, guides and analysis.
- We Use Coins – Your portal to the world of Bitcoin (great for starters).
- The Bitcoin Wiki – For all your Bitcoin needs.
- r/bitcoin – The Bitcoin subreddit.
- How Do You Buy Bitcoins? – The easy and free guide to buying Bitcoins.
- How Bitcoins Are Mined And Used – Article by BusinessInsider.
- Bitcoin – The Libertarian Introduction – Article by Erik Voorhees.
- Coinbase – An digital wallet for securely using and accept Bitcoin currency.
- Bits – Bringing Bitcoin to the masses. Payments anytime, anywhere by anyone.
- Gliph – The easiest way to send Bitcoin.
- BitPay – Accept BitCoin in every country with no chargebacks.
- CoinJar – Your Bitcoin wallet on the go.
- BitWall – Micropayments for digital publishers.
- KryptoKit – In-browser Bitcoin wallet (works with Google Chrome).
- Safello – A safe way to buy, sell and store Bitcoins.
- Robocoin – The world’s first Bitcoin ATM.
- Bitmonet – Accept Bitcoin to get paid for your blog posts.
If you’re not viewing this list on Click here to view the original (and support the real author).then it was stolen without permission.
- Coinsetter – NYC-based Bitcoin trade platform.
- CEX.io – Bitcoin commodity exchange. Trade mining facilities based on supply/demand.
- Bitstamp – Send Bitcoins directly to anyone with no middlemen.
- Coinfloor – Trade Bitcoins with confidence.
- BTC-E – Cryptocurrency exchange (also accepts Namecoin, Litecoin, etc.).
- LocalBitcoins – Buy and sell Bitcoins near you.
- Cryptsy – Buy/sell and earn points.
- Bitcoin Investment Trust – Private trust invested exclusively in Bitcoin.
- CoinMKT – Buy, sell and invest in cryptocurrencies with USD.
- CoinRnr – Buy and sell Bitcoins faster.
Pushing Bitcoin Forward
- Bitcoin Foundation – Standardizes, protects and promotes the use of Bitcoin.
- Stanford Bitcoin Group – Research into Bitcoin theory and applications.
- The Genesis Block – Digital currency data and analysis.
- Bitcoin Magazine – Bitcoin and cryptocurrency news and discussion.
- Circle – Developing secure, simple, and less costly technology for storing digital money.
- Buttercoin – The easy way to launch a Bitcoin trading platform.
- BitAngels – Angel investors interested in disrupting industries via Bitcoin technologies.
- Bitcoin.org – Dedicated to helping Bitcoin develop in a stable way.
- CoinLab – Bitcoin business incubator.
- Boost – A startup accelerator with a Bitcoin focus.
Other Noteworthy Bitcoin Stuff
- BlockChain – Bitcoin block explorer.
- PubNub Bitcoin Solution Kit – Developers can quickly and easily deliver real-time Bitcoin info.
- BubbleCoin – Bitcoin news, culture, events and more.
- ZeroBlock – Realtime Bitcoin market data (mobile app).
- Overstock.com – Purchase thousands of items using Bitcoin.
- Hashfast – Bitcoin mining hardware.
- Beatcoin – A jukebox running on Bitcoin.
- Netagio – Safe and reputable Bitcoin storage (European).
- Revel Systems – A POS system that accepts Bitcoin payments.
- Bitcoin Monitor – Visualizes changes on the Bitcoin network.